A recessed front column in a pallet rack system design is a smart move for several reasons. By gently sloping the lower portion of the column back and away from the aisle, you open up a greater turning radius for your forklift operators. Obviously, more room to maneuver the forklift means less potential for equipment strikes and pallet rack damage and possible injuries. The sloped leg design delivers many pluses while still maintaining the equivalent storage capacity of a straight-leg system.
Recessed columns often appear in drive-in, push-back, selective, and deep-reach pallet rack systems.
Recessed Column Benefits
- Protects rack frame from forklift damage
- Creates broader turning radius
- Maintains rack load capacity
- Trims maintenance expenses
- Improves warehouse safety
- Retrofits to existing rack